Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information and Resources for Community Health Centers
NACHC’s novel coronavirus (also known as COVID-19) resource page is a hub for information Community Health Centers can use to strengthen readiness efforts and educate their communities.
NACHC has launched a Community Health Center Networking Group via the online platform Noddlepod which:
- consolidates the broad range of information on COVID-19 from many different sources (e.g., BPHC, CMS, NACHC, ECRI) in a single location where you can quickly find information on a specific topic
- enables members to share information and questions quickly
To access this Noddlepod site, email email@example.com.
HRSA’s FAQs include requirements and expectations for health centers, information on how to prepare for a surge in patient load, guidance for Primary Care Associations and more. The FAQs are available here.
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services’ (CMS’) FAQs include information on diagnostic lab services, physician services, hospital services and more. Read them here. CMS also developed FAQs addressing concerns related to COVID-19 for people with HIV. The FAQs are available here.
The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities released FAQs to help people understand who is eligible to enroll in coverage, available here.
|Tuesday, April 7
2:00-3:00 PM ET
|COVID-19 & FTCA (Office Hour)||Register Here||Submit burning questions in advance to NACHC Director of Clinical Trainings & Workforce Katja Laepke at firstname.lastname@example.org.|
|Thursday, April 2
1:00-2:00 PM ET
|Leading in the Crisis: Flattening the COVID-19 Curve- Planning, Managing and Caring for the Workforce Now and in the Future||A recording will be available soon.|| NHSC and Nurse Corps COVID-19 Flexibility FAQs
|Thursday, March 26, 2020
1:00-2:00 PM ET
|Leading in the Crisis: Flattening the COVID-19 Curve – The Science, Finances, Workforce, and New Models of Care||Webinar Recording||Interim Infection Prevention and Control Guidance for Dental Settings During the COVID-19 Response|
|Thursday, March 19, 2020
2:00-3:00 PM ET
|Telehealth and COVID-19 Toolkit Roll Out||Webinar Recording|
|Thursday, March 19, 2020
1:00-2:00 PM ET
|Health Centers, Flattening the COVID-19 Curve: National Partner Update||
|Friday, March 6, 2020||Prepare Not Panic: COVID-19 CDC Update and the Health Center Response||Webinar Recording||Sample Patient Under Investigation (PUI) Incident Protocol for COVID-19
Sample Organizational Planning Checklist for COVID-19
Sample Provider Protocol for COVID-19
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources
Emergency Management Resources
- The Primary Care Association Emergency Management Coalition (PCA EMAC) has gathered resources for health care organizations to be prepared and responsive to COVID-19: https://www.pcaemac.org/covid19
- HRSA’s Emergency Preparedness & Continuity of Operations resources are available for review and download: https://www.hrsa.gov/emergency/index.html
- HRSA’s Emergency Preparedness and Recovery Resources for Health Centers https://bphc.hrsa.gov/emergency-response/hurricane-updates.html
- Emergency Preparedness Tabletop Exercises that include pandemics: https://nurseledcare.phmc.org/emergency-preparedness-tabletop-exercises.html
- COVID-19 Emergency Preparedness Video Is your health center ready? from Community Health Center, Inc. on Vimeo.
- Sustaining the Well-Being of Healthcare Personnel During Coronavirus and Other Infectious Disease Outbreaks. This one-pager outlines the challenges of and strategies for maintaining provider well-being during the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Sample Procedures for Health Center Drive-through Clinic (Also available in Spanish here.)
- CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) updates.
- Updated CDC Guidance for health care workers: Facemasks are an acceptable temporary alternative for most medical services until the demand for N95 respirators lessens. Learn more.
- CDC Information for Health Care Professionals. This webpage offers interim guidance on evaluating and reporting persons under investigation (PUI), frequently asked questions, infection control, supplies and more.
- CDC Resources for Health Care Facilities. Find resources on steps to prepare for coronavirus, interim guidance, and strategies to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Strategies for Optimizing the Supply of N95 Respirators. Clarification of introductory language; Information added on Crisis/Alternative Strategies; Information added to expand upon strategies, including two new resources
- The Value Transformation Framework: Taking a Systems Approach to Addressing COVID-19. The Value Transformation Framework, developed by NACHC’s Quality Center, is a conceptual model to guide systems change by translating research and promising practices into manageable steps health centers can apply to improve care and outcomes. The Quality Center presented the following information during the Elevate learning forum, a cohort of 42 PCAs/HCCNs and over 220 health centers, on 03/10/2020. The presentation overlaid the Value Transformation Framework on current CDC guidelines to provide health centers with a systems approach to addressing COVID-19. Access it here.
- The Health Center Resource Clearinghouse provides resources from all of the Bureau of Primary Health Care’s (BPHC) technical assistance investments (NCA, PCA, and HCCN). These resources are highly curated and include items specifically related to special and vulnerable populations.
- Reduced Workflows and Staffing Guidance for Non-Clinical Operations
- Managing Crisis through Resilient Leadership
- CDC Interim Guidance for Health Communicators: This interim guidance for planning communication strategies before, during, and after an outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Find communications resources, including print, video, graphics and more here.
- The World Health Organization developed a COVID-19 simulation exercise to support countries’ preparedness effort on the COVID-19 outbreak. Access it here.
- Main Site on CMS Response to COVID-19
- CMS FAQs on COVID-19 (released 3.9.2020)
- CMS Fact Sheet on Medicare Coverage and Payment Related to COVID-19
- CMS Fact Sheet on Medicaid Coverage and Payment Related to COVID-19
- CMS Announces Actions to Address Spread of Coronavirus. CMS announced several steps it is taking to prevent the spread of coronavirus, including asking providers to “ensure they are implementing their infection control procedures, which they are required to maintain at all times” and noting that State Survey Agencies and Accrediting Organizations will focus their facility inspections exclusively related to infection control and other serious health and safety threats.
Health Insurance Enrollement Resources
- CMS Newsroom—COVID-19 Updates. This page provides a summary of recent Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) actions taken in response to the COVID-19 virus, as part of the ongoing White House Task Force efforts. CMS updates these resources on an ongoing basis throughout the day.
- State DOI responses to COVID-19 (As of 3/23/2020)
- 3 things to know about coronavirus disease and your Marketplace coverage
- Payment and Grace Period Flexibilities for Issuers Offering Coverage on the FFE and SBE-FP and FAQS related to COVID-19. On Tuesday, March 24, CMS posted guidance on Payment and Grace Period Flexibilities for Issuers Offering Coverage on the Federally-facilitated Exchanges and State-based Exchanges on the Federal Platform. Under the newly released guidance, CMS announced that it will exercise enforcement discretion to permit issuers of qualified health plans (QHPs) and stand-alone dental plans (SADPs) to extend payment deadlines for initial binder payments as well as ongoing premium payments during the period of the COVID-19 national emergency In addition, CMS released two frequently asked questions (FAQs) related to health coverage in response to the COVID-19 outbreak:
- Guidance from the Center for Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight re. COVID-19
- If you lose job-based coverage
- Information on Special Enrollment Periods
Health Center Board Resources
Please refer to the FAQs at the top of this page for FAQs related to health center boards.
- Health Center Boards and Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). Information on exercising board governance duties during a crisis. This resource is also available in Spanish (Juntas de los centros de salud y nuevo coronavirus)
- Virtual Board Meetings: Tips for Health Center Boards. This short blog focuses on tips health centers can use if quickly adopting virtual meetings or increasing their use of such meetings given COVID-19. This resource is also available in Spanish (Reuniones virtuales de la junta: consejos para las juntas de los centros de salud).
- Legal Considerations: Board Meetings During COVID-19. This short blog focuses on some legal considerations related to board meetings during COVID-19.
- Virtual Meetings Untangled. This publication from BoardSource provides information on planning for, facilitating, and conducting virtual board meetings. BoardSource is temporarily offering this publication as a free resource given COVID-19.
- Sample Board Presentation on COVID-19.This short presentation can be used to discuss COVID-19 with a health center board and outline a health center’s plan for addressing the pandemic. This resource was developed by Lisa Bujno, APRN, Assistant Medical Director, Ammonoosuc Community Health Services, Inc. in New Hampshire and has been adapted to share with a broader audience. It is shared with permission and contains segments that can be adapted for use with the board at your health center.
Resources for Health Centers with Eldery Populations and PACE Programs
- National PACE Association COVID-19 Resource Page
- From CMS:Guidance for Retirement Communities and Independent Living
- From CMS: Preventing the Spread of COVID-19 in Retirement Communities and Independent Living Facilities (Interim Guidance)
- From CMS:Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) Checklist: Older Persons
- CDC Information on COVID-19 and Pregnant Women and Children. There is not currently information from published scientific reports about the susceptibility of pregnant women to COVID-19 and there is no evidence that children are more susceptible.
- CDC Information on COVID-19 and Schools. Interim guidance for childcare providers and schools to plan, prepare and respond to novel coronavirus.
- Family-friendly public health reminders from Sesame Street in Communities-How to Wash Your Hands, H is for Handwashing Storybook, Handwashing: Step by Step.
- Sesame Street announced the release of its Caring for Each Other initiative, including animations on healthy habits, resources providing comfort, and learn-at-home activities to support families during COVID-19.
- Addressing stigma Resources from the CDC.
- The Association of Asian Pacific Community Health Organizations (AAPCHO) has curated several resources related to novel coronavirus/COVID-19, including several related to addressing stigma. Access them here.
- The Public Health Department of King County in Washington State has developed several anti-stigma resources including printable posters. Access them here.