Request for Proposals: Facilitation and Core Competency Development Expertise
NACHC is proud to partner with the Association of Clinicians for the Underserved (ACU) on development of a toolkit, informed by field practitioners, for health centers interested in learning about a Chief Workforce Officer (CWO) role and how to integrate the position into their leadership teams. ACU was established in 1996 as a nonprofit, transdisciplinary organization of clinicians, advocates and health care organizations united in a common mission to improve the health of America’s underserved populations and to enhance the development and support of the health care clinicians serving these populations.
Given the workforce challenges that health centers are facing, a CWO can bring high-level focus and coordination to workforce efforts and ensure a data-informed approach to staffing concerns. Building off ACU’s The Making of a Chief Workforce Officer profile document, the toolkit is expected to include resources such as core competencies, sample job descriptions, podcasts, and more. The resources developed through this effort will be used to inform future curriculum, conference sessions, and other learning opportunities.
Through this Request for Proposal (RFP), ACU and NACHC are seeking a vendor with specific expertise in meeting planning, facilitation, core competency development, and follow up reporting to be utilized for conducting virtual meetings of an advisory group of 10-15 health center, state and/or regional primary care association, (PCA), and health center controlled network (HCCN) professionals with workforce expertise or experience especially related to the CWO role in health centers. Advisory Group meetings are expected to be held virtually every two to three weeks for 60-90 minutes each between February 15 and June 15, 2020.
NACHC and ACU seek an experienced and innovative facilitator significantly familiar with core competency development, current HRSA/BPHC strategic goals and objectives, health workforce challenges and related leadership and operational implications, and the organizational configurations of CHCs, PCAs and HCCNs. Vendor(s) with experience developing toolkits for an adult audience are also encouraged to apply.
Time period for services is February 3, 2020 through June 30, 2020.
Scope of Work
Selected vendor will provide expert, pre-and-post-meeting support as well as virtual meeting facilitation of the advisory group to result in:
- Coordination with ACU and NACHC on development of activities to engage advisory group members to participate in discussions and pre/post meeting assignments;
- Preparation of draft core competencies for health center Chief Workforce Officer, utilizing NACHC framework for C-Suite core competencies, to include domains, tasks, skills, and behavioral examples;
- Development of sample position descriptions; and
- Recommendations for other resources to include in the toolkit.
Content Area – Facilitation Services and Core Competency Development Expertise for Managing Virtual Meetings of Advisory Group
ACU and NACHC will convene an advisory group to provide field input on the development of a Chief Workforce Officer Toolkit. Through participation in the advisory group, members are expected to 1) learn more about the core competency and toolkit development process; 2) expand their peer network of health center, PCA, HCCN, and workforce leaders; and 3) shape an increasingly important role within Community Health Centers.
Selected vendor will coordinate advisory group meetings utilizing experience in core competency development and foster a welcoming virtual environment that encourages active participation by advisory group members. ACU has already developed the Making of a Chief Workforce Officer resource mentioned above and NACHC has successfully utilized a core competency framework as a model for core competencies development of health center C-Suite positions. This project will follow that model. The advisory group will have been selected by ACU and NACHC prior to the start date for vendor. Overall thought leadership for the CWO Toolkit is provided by ACU and NACHC with the insights of the advisory group representing CHCs, PCAs, HCCNs, workforce NCA partners, and other qualified professionals.
Task 1: Pre-Meeting Preparation
- Provide revised facilitation plan (post initial meeting with ACU & NACHC project directors), if necessary, agenda and activities development consultation to the ACU and NACHC project directors to result in purposeful integration of pre-work for advisory group members, and meaningful flow to the meetings.
- Timeframe: Immediately upon award through February 21, 2020
- Volume: up to two phone consultations weekly with ACU and NACHC project directors (capacity for more if needed) plus off-line development work.
Task 2: Meeting Facilitation
- Provide virtual meeting facilitation for five to eight advisory group meetings.
- Provide real time consultation to ACU and NACHC project directors to facilitate progress towards achievement of scope of work.
- Timeframe: February-June 2020 (Specific meeting dates TBD based on vendor, advisory group members, ACU, and NACHC staff availability.
- Volume: Advisory group meetings expected to be held every two to three weeks for 60-90 minutes each between February 15 and June 15, 2020.
Task 3: Post-Meeting Follow-Up
- Provide draft CWO core competencies (utilizing NACHC framework), 2-3 sample position descriptions, and toolkit resource recommendations as informed by advisory group insights.
- Assess advisory group members experience with the group in order to evaluate effectiveness of engaging group members and achieving expected benefits.
- Deliver written debrief to the ACU and NACHC project directors to include results of assessment referenced above, as well as consultative recommendations for the ACU and NACHC project directors regarding future engagement of advisory groups and toolkit development.
- Timeframe: June 8-15, 2020
- Volume: Phone consultation(s) to review draft and final deliverables as needed.
How to Apply
Proposals must be submitted via NACHC’s application portal no later than January 24, 2020 at 8:00 pm EST/5:00 pm PST. Proposals must be complete in order to be considered. Incomplete proposals will not be considered.
If NACHC selects your proposal, you will be notified no later than February 3, 2020.
Proposals must contain:
- Point of Contact Information/Organization Information
- Name/Description of Organization: specifically state if you are an independent consultant, a corporation applicant or part of a joint proposal with other independent consultants.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume (page limit: 2 page limit per expert ) for principal experts and key project staff
- Capability Statement (page limit: 2 pages) that demonstrates you/your organization’s ability to deliver services in the content areas specified, including:
- Evidence of successful and effective facilitation of virtual group meetings and engagement of virtual meeting participants and expertise in core competency development
- Demonstrated expertise in drafting business documents for public release
- Demonstrated understanding of the described scope of work
- Work samples (page limit: 10 pages) comprised of one facilitation plan and either a sample presentation or narrative describing a similar scope of activities undertaken in the last three years. Include description of process and relevant outcome measures.
- Project timeline (page limit: 2 pages) using milestones that demonstrate understanding of project needs and appropriate project management approaches
- Budget with Daily/Hourly Rate (No travel costs will be covered and none are expected for this virtual engagement)
- Signed statement (see full RFP, linked below) attesting to the accuracy of this proposal, the accuracy of your capability statement, and you/your organization’s ability to deliver the services requested through this RFP.