NACHC Million Hearts® Initiative
NACHC and the CDC are partnered together to reduce heart attacks and strokes to help achieve the Million Hearts® 2022 goals. The current focus has been to implement strategies to reduce undiagnosed hypertension, improve use of statins in high-risk patients, improve hypertension management and control for African Americans, and expanding use of self-measured blood pressure monitoring. NACHC is implementing and scaling strategies for health centers to improve performance in the following areas:
CURRENT NEWS- Hypertension Control Champions
Statin Therapy for High-Risk Patients
The project focuses on improving use of statin therapy for patients at high risk of heart attack and stroke through enhanced care processes to prescribe statins to as many high-risk patients as possible.
- Cholesterol Provider Training Package
- Improving Use of Statin Therapy Roadmap: Quality Improvement Tool
- How Do Statins Prevent Heart Attacks and Strokes: Patient Education Animation | English | Spanish
- How Do Statins Prevent Heart Attacks and Strokes: Patient Education Infographic | English | Spanish
- Statins and Lifestyle: Patient Education Infographic | English | Spanish
Improving Blood Pressure Control for African Americans
This project focuses on implementing evidence-based and promising practices to improve blood pressure control for African Americans to intensify guideline-recommended therapy, increase frequency of patient touch points, improve medication adherence, and increase patient engagement.
Self-Measured Blood Pressure Monitoring (SMBP)
WATCH: D’Angelo’s Story
The focus of this work is to support the CDC’s SMBP National Strategy, which aims to accelerate the adoption of SMBP as a national standard of care. This is done by addressing key challenges in the areas of community engagement, reimbursement, HIT, hosting a quarterly SMBP virtual forum, and supporting an online community of peers in the SMBP field.
- How to Use your Home Blood Pressure Monitor | English | Spanish
- Self-Measurement: How Patients and Care Teams are Bringing Blood Pressure to Control
- SMBP Forum Registration
- SMBP Community (Healthcare Communities)
- Accelerating Use of SMBP through Clinical-Community Care Models
- NACHC SMBP Implementation Guide
This project focuses on scaling evidence-based practices, including a HIT-based algorithm, to improve the detection and diagnosis of hypertensive patients “hiding in plain sight” at health centers with undiagnosed hypertension.
- Who Are the Undiagnosed? Disparities in Hypertension Diagnoses in Vulnerable Populations
- Improving Identification and Diagnosis of Hypertensive Patients Hiding in Plain Sight (HIPS) in Health Centers
- CDC Resources
- AMA Resources
- SMBP Joint Policy Statement 2020
- Million Hearts® Hypertension Control Champions
- Surgeon General’s Call to Action for Hypertension (Full Report)
- Validated Device Listing
- https://www.validatebp.org/Release the Pressure Campaign
- With Every Heartbeat is Life