January 16, 2024
2023 Board Member Boot Camp
Board Member Boot Camp: An Introduction to Health Center Board Roles
Saturday, August 26, 2023
In-Person Learning Program
Are you a new health center board member? Do you want to learn about the role of the board and your responsibilities as a board member? This program – designed with the needs of new health center board members in mind – starts with an overview of health center board roles. This offering also introduces effective board functioning, and several areas of board oversight including quality and financial. Participants will also learn how they can use their story to advocate and build relationships for the health center, and will gain an understanding of where to access additional on-demand resources to continue their learning.
*Participants must register for Board Member Boot Camp separately from the CHI & EXPO registration.*
NACHC Member Rate $250 (1st and 2nd registrant from an organization)/NACHC Member Rate $230 (3rd or more registrants from the same organization)
Non-Member Rate $500 (1st and 2nd registrant from an organization)/Non-Member Rate $460 (3rd or more registrants from the same organization)
NOTE: If you are unable to participate in-person, please note that NACHC plans to offer a virtual training on board roles and responsibilities in the coming months; please indicate your interest in future virtual training offerings by filling out this form.
Who Should Attend?
Board Member Boot Camp is designed for new health center board members. Participants that want a refresher on board roles may also find attending to be helpful.**
What to Expect
Board members will:
- Have an opportunity to meet fellow health center board members from across the country
- Learn typical health center board responsibilities
- Identify the importance of the board and CEO partnership
- Learn the fundamentals of effective board functioning (meetings, committees, culture)
- Discuss how they would respond to specific board scenarios
- Gain an introduction to certain key forms of oversight – including financial and quality
- Learn about the role of the board and board members in advocacy and organizing, and practice sharing their story in support of the health center mission
Schedule* (All times are Pacific time)
8:30 am – 10:30 am Overview of Health Center Board Roles
The opening segment of Board Member Boot Camp includes:
- Welcome and Orientation to the program including a chance to meet fellow health center board members
- An Introduction to the three major categories of board roles: Strategy, Oversight and Policy, and Board Functioning
- A high-level overview of board-focused requirements that are part of the Health Resource and Services Administration’s (HRSA) Health Center Program
- Discussion of individual board member duties
- An introduction to some fundamentals related to effective board functioning (meetings, committees, culture)
10:30 am – 10:45 am Break
10:45 am – 12:15 pm Essential Components of Health Center Board Oversight
This segment will address how a board carries out its oversight role. It will address key areas of board oversight – including financial and quality – in some detail including the important intersection between these two components.
12:15 pm – 1:15 pm Lunch on Your Own
1:15 pm – 2:45 pm Supporting the Health Center Mission: Introduction to Advocacy and Storytelling for Health Center Board Members & Program Wrap Up
Patient-majority, community-based health center boards and their members play a critical role in advocating for and building relationships to support the health center mission. This segment will define advocacy, as well as discuss the role of the board and the individual board member in allowable forms of advocacy. It will also include time for participants to practice sharing their own story to support the health center mission.
- Boot Camp is conducted in English
- * Initial schedule as of June 2023. Subject to change.
- Some in-person audience participation will take place via the NACHC Mobile App. In-person attendees are strongly encouraged to bring a smart phone or tablet, and to download the NACHC Mobile App in advance of attending Board Member Boot Camp.
- Meals will not be provided on-site during Board Member Boot Camp.
- ** Please note this program does not go into detail about co-applicant board roles or governance structures for public agencies, such as county or city health departments and universities, among others, that may receive grant funding under the Health Center Program. For information on public center governance, please refer to the Public Centers Monograph or a short video on Public Entity and Co-applicant Board Roles.
- Additional topics will be addressed during the Community Health Institute. Please consider registering for that event if you have previously completed Board Member Boot Camp or wish to continue your learning.
Not Able to Attend Board Member Boot Camp In-Person?
NACHC has over 50 resources available on-demand and at no cost to support health center boards and board members! Please visit NACHC’s Governance Page for information on resources to support your board. Some highlights include:
- Health Center Board Roles / Funciones de las juntas de los centros de salud – This video provides a high-level overview of health center board roles.
- Governance Guide for Health Center Boards / Guía para las Juntas Directivas del Centro de Salud – This resource provides an overview of board roles and good governance practice.
- Modules on Board Financial Oversight / Modulos en capitación financiera para la junta directiva – This five-part eLearning series focuses on board financial oversight and provides an overview of common financial statements.
- New Board Member Orientation: PowerPoint Template and Facilitator Guide – This template can be downloaded and adapted to a board’s own onboarding needs.
- Various topical videos are available to support board learning, including on the Sliding Fee Discount Program, Value-Based Payment, Strategic Planning; and more.
- Additional resources can be found on the Health Center Resource Clearinghouse Governance Quick Finds Section.
Additionally, NACHC plans to offer virtual training on board roles and responsibilities in the coming months; please indicate your interest in future virtual training offerings by filling out this form.
Not Found LocalTime
Not Found Labels
Not Found Map
Not Found Speakers
Not Found Data