Health Center Governance
NACHC’s Health Center Governance training programs offer useful and timely governing strategies to empower health center boards as they navigate the complex health care environment. Board member boot camps, online videos and modules, and essential resources are available. All resources and programs highlight nationally recognized practices. Topics are constantly updated so board members can address today’s most critical priorities while identifying strategies for long-term health center success.
On the page
Gain valuable skills:
- Describe and understand health center board roles.
- Demonstrate skill in financial oversight and other forms of oversight.
- Apply strategic planning concepts.
- Evaluate quality and quality improvement plans.
- Generate CEO hiring, compensation, and succession plans.
- Apply good practices for board meetings, retreats, board recruitment, and board member orientation.
- Consider how to govern while managing complex topics in health care.
- and more…
Upcoming 2021-2022 Training Events
Health Center Governance Fundamentals
- Governance Guide for Health Center Boards (English/ Spanish)
- Health Center Board Roles (video)
- Health Center Boards: Benefits to Health Centers (English/ Spanish)
- New Board Member Orientation Template and Facilitator Guide* (English/Spanish)
Board Member Training & Events
Short Videos and E-Learning Modules
Short videos and e-learning modules can be integrated into a health center board’s own ongoing education or new board member orientation, including:
- Modules on Board Financial Oversight (five-part series. English/Spanish)
- The Board’s Role in Strategic Planning
- The Board’s Role in Strategic Planning: Case Study
- The Board’s Role in the Needs Assessment
Access to Essential Governance Tools & Guidance
Many resources can be found on the Health Center Resource Clearinghouse, including:
- Virtual Board Retreats*
- Hybrid Board Meetings *
- Identifying, Disclosing, and Managing Board Members’ Conflicts of Interest (Governance Legal Brief 1)
- Navigating CEO Transitions: A Toolkit for Health Center Boards
- CEO Succession Planning: A Toolkit for Health Center Boards
Collaboration with Primary Care Associations (PCAs) on Goverance
A PCA/NACHC Governance Group meets to support health center boards. A Shared Governance Curriculum has been developed on key topics including board responsibilities and board composition/ recruitment. Interested PCAs can use the curriculum to train board members. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
COVID-19 Response and Support
Educational programs are tailored and constantly updated to meet ongoing challenges. COVID-19 specific resources can be found in the Health Center Resource Clearinghouse, including:
- Tips for Board Chairs and Other Board Leaders During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Focusing on the Future: Strategic Planning and Thinking During the COVID-19 Pandemic*
- Orienting New Health Center Board Members During the COIVD-19 Pandemic*
- Pandemic-Related Budgeting Considerations for Health Center Boards*
- Health Center Boards & HRSA Health Center Program Compliance: Considerations During and After the Pandemic *
Quick TTA Resources
* Indicates projects not supported by HRSA.
NACHC’s TTA programs are supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as part of an award totaling $6,625,000 with 0 percentage financed with non-governmental sources. The contents are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the official views of, nor an endorsement, by HRSA, HHS, or the U.S. Government. For more information, please visit HRSA.gov.