Health Center Governance
NACHC’s Center for Health Center Board Education offers useful and timely governing strategies to empower health center boards as they navigate the complex health care environment. Board member trainings, online videos and modules, and essential resources are available. All resources and programs highlight nationally recognized practices. Topics are constantly updated so board members can address today’s most critical priorities while identifying strategies for long-term health center success.
On the page
Gain valuable skills:
- Describe and understand health center board roles.
- Demonstrate skill in financial oversight and other forms of oversight.
- Apply strategic planning concepts.
- Evaluate quality and quality improvement plans.
- Generate CEO hiring, compensation, and succession plans.
- Apply good practices for board meetings, retreats, board recruitment, and board member orientation.
- Consider how to govern while managing complex topics in health care.
- Serve as an effective board chair or board leader.
- and more…
Upcoming 2022-2023 Training Events
Program at capacity
NACHC’s Board Chair Leadership Program
5 Virtual Sessions
February 1 – March 29, 2023
NACHC’s Board Chair Leadership Program is designed for new health center boards chairs or those about to step into the board chair role at a health center.
This five-part virtual program will address the role of the board chair, the board chair-CEO partnership, board meeting facilitation, navigating conflict, board chair succession planning, and more. The Board Chair Leadership Program is designed to provide interactive and action-oriented learning experience through engagement with experienced board chairs, fellow participants, and subject matter experts. Participants will engage in small group discussions and consider various case studies as part of this program.
Registration is limited to ensure a small cohort-based approach. Participants that attend each of the five sessions will receive a Certificate of Completion after the program.
Learn more about the program here.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be added to an interest list for updates on future governance programing.
Health Center Governance Fundamentals
- Governance Guide for Health Center Boards (English/ Spanish)
- Health Center Board Roles (video) – now also available in Spanish through a partnership with the National Center for Farmworker Health
- Health Center Boards: Benefits to Health Centers (English/ Spanish)
- New Board Member Orientation Template and Facilitator Guide* (English/Spanish)
Board Member Training & Events
Short Videos and E-Learning Modules
Short videos and e-learning modules can be integrated into a health center board’s own ongoing education or new board member orientation, including:
- NEW! Tips for Boards on Health Center Workforce Challenges and Opportunities
- NEW! Sliding Fee Discount Program: The Fundamentals for Health Center Boards
- NEW! Tips for Health Center Boards for Evaluating the Sliding Fee Discount Program
- Four Fundamentals of Value-Based Payment for Health Center Boards
- Pharmacy Models: An Introduction for Health Center Boards
- Modules on Board Financial Oversight (five-part series. English/Spanish)
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Justice in Health Center Governance
- Board Actions Combatting Racism: Case Study of Lowell Community Health Center
- The Board’s Role in Strategic Planning
- The Board’s Role in Strategic Planning: Case Study
- The Board’s Role in the Needs Assessment
Access to Essential Governance Tools & Guidance
Many resources can be found on the Health Center Resource Clearinghouse, including:
- NEW! Service Line Expansion: A Guide for Health Center Boards
- NEW! Geographic Expansion: A Guide for Health Center Boards
- NEW! Becoming a Teaching Health Center: Tips for Health Center Boards
- Ten FAQs About Health Center Boards & the CMS Omnibus COVID-19 Staff Vaccination Interim Final Rule* *
- Board Role in Corporate Consolidation
- Legal Lessons Learned & the Pandemic
- Virtual Board Retreats*
- Hybrid Board Meetings *
- Identifying, Disclosing, and Managing Board Members’ Conflicts of Interest (Governance Legal Brief 1)
- Navigating CEO Transitions: A Toolkit for Health Center Boards
- CEO Succession Planning: A Toolkit for Health Center Boards
Collaboration with Primary Care Associations (PCAs) on Governance
A PCA/NACHC Governance Group meets to support health center boards. A Shared Governance Curriculum has been developed on key topics including board responsibilities and board composition/ recruitment. Interested PCAs can use the curriculum to train board members. Contact email@example.com for more information.
COVID-19 Response and Support
Educational programs are tailored and constantly updated to meet ongoing challenges. COVID-19 specific resources can be found in the Health Center Resource Clearinghouse, including:
- Tips for Board Chairs and Other Board Leaders During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Focusing on the Future: Strategic Planning and Thinking During the COVID-19 Pandemic*
- Orienting New Health Center Board Members During the COIVD-19 Pandemic*
- Pandemic-Related Budgeting Considerations for Health Center Boards*
- Health Center Boards & HRSA Health Center Program Compliance: Considerations During and After the Pandemic*
Quick TTA Resources
* Indicates projects not supported by HRSA.
NACHC’s TTA programs are supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as part of an award totaling $6,719,834 with 0 percentage financed with non-governmental sources. The contents are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the official views of, nor an endorsement, by HRSA, HHS, or the U.S. Government. For more information, please visit HRSA.gov.