What Matters for Health Centers
The 340B Drug Pricing Program is an essential source of support for Community Health Centers, allowing them to stretch increasingly scarce federal resources and reinvest in patient care. The program allows health centers to purchase outpatient drugs at significantly reduced costs. Health centers pass the savings on to their patients through reduced drug prices, and use any additional savings in support of their mission to expand access and improve health outcomes among medically underserved populations. This translates to better patient care in any variety of ways, including through improved pharmacy access, extended health center hours, or the ability to provide additional providers or services.
NACHC works with a variety of stakeholder organizations in this coalition to protect and improve the 340B Drug Discount Pricing Program.
Operational Support for Health Centers with 340B programs
Second edition (available for free to organizations that purchased the first edition).
NACHC’s Monthly 340B/Pharmacy Office Hours
Office Hours are monthly opportunities to learn and ask questions about operational issues related to pharmacy and 340B. They are held the third Thursday of each month (except in March and August) at 2 p.m. ET. Offices Hours are supported under the BPHC Cooperative Agreement and are free. No registration is required, just join via WebEx at the appropriate time. You are encouraged to submit questions in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- April 2019 Focus Topic: Clinic-Administered Drugs – Slides | Manual Excerpt on Rx Changes and SFS
- February 2019 Focus Topic: DIR Fees – Webinar Recording | Slides | White Paper Explaining DIR Fees | NCPA FAQs re. DIR Fees
- January 2019 Focus Topic: Lessons from a HRSA 340B Audit – Webinar Recording | Slides | NACHC Manual Section on 340B Recertification | AR Law Regulating PBMs
- December 2018 Focus Topic: Prescriptions Written by Specialists – Webinar Recording | Slides | NACHC Manual Section on Prescriptions Written by Specialists | Rack Card on Whether to Go to ER or Doctor’s Office
- November 2018 Focus Topic: Pharmacy Dashboards – Slides | Rx Operations Trend Report – JL | 340B Trend Report – JL | Sample Rx Dashboard #2 – DM | Sample Rx Dashboard #3 – SV | Sample Capture Rate Excel Doc – SV
- October 2018 Focus Topic: How Apexus Can Support Your Pharmacy Operations – Slides
- September 2018 Focus Topic: Medicaid – Webinar Recording | Slides | Manual Chapter on Medicaid
- July 2018 Focus Topic: Is an In-House Pharmacy Right for My Health Center? – Webinar Recording | Slides | New HRSA Guidance for Contract Pharmacies | Contact Person for $50 IUD (Liletta)
- June 2018 Focus Topic: Choosing Your 340B Partners Wisely – Slides
- May 2018 Focus Topic: Contract Pharmacy – Webinar Recording | Slides | Manual Chapter on Contract Pharmacy
- April 2018 Focus Topic: Which Prescriptions are Eligible – Webinar Recording | Slides | Manual Chapter on Which Prescriptions are Eligible
- February 2018 Focus Topic: Self-Audits – Establishing Material Breach Threshold Tool | Documenting Savings Tool | Office Hours Information | Self Audit Tools | Self Audit Chapter of 340B Manual
Health centers that participate in the Apexus certificate program can receive a $100 discount by using the code NACHC2018.
Capitol Hill Activity on 340B
- House Energy and Commerce Committee Report: “Review of the 340B Drug Pricing Program” (January 2018)
- Congressional hearings on the 340B program:
July 2018 – House Energy and Commerce Committee hearing, “Opportunities to Improve the 340B Drug Pricing Program”
June 2018 – Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee Hearing, “Effective Administration of the 340B Drug Pricing Program”
May 2018 – Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee Hearing, Examining Oversight Reports on the 340B Drug Pricing Program”
March 2018 – Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee Hearing, “Perspectives on the 340B Drug Pricing Program”
October 2017 – House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations Hearing, “Examining How Covered Entities Utilize the 340B Drug Pricing Program”
July 2017 – House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations Hearing, “Examining HRSA’s Oversight of the 340B Drug Pricing Program”
GAO Report: “Drug Discount Program: Federal Oversight of Compliance at 340B Contract Pharmacies Needs Improvement”(July 2018)
Letters to Select Contract Pharmacies (August 2018)
Chairmen Hatch and Walden Letter to OMB regarding PBM Rebates (August 2018)
Bipartisan HELP/ E&C Letter Urging HRSA to Use Existing Authorities (August 2018)