Update September 13, 2023:
Last week, the Chairs of three important House Committees – Energy & Commerce, Ways and Means, and Education and Workforce – released The Lower Costs, More Transparency Act (H.R. 5378), a comprehensive health care bill the House is expected to vote on in the coming days. This bill is a key step in the federal budget process and includes:
- Health Center Funding: A two year and three-month extension at $4.4 billion per year. This is a $400 million increase over current funding levels!
- Teaching Health Center Graduate Medical Education: A seven-year extension and gradual increase from $126 million to $300 million per year starting in 2028.
- National Health Service Corps: A two year and three-month extension at $350 million per year. This is a $40 million increase over current funding levels.
We need strong advocacy from the field to ensure strong bipartisan support when health center funding comes to the floor for a vote in both the House and Senate. NACHC is mobilizing our networks to urge Congress to pass this important legislation. Reach out to your representatives now.
Ask them to Vote YES on the Lower Costs, More Transparency Act (H.R. 5378) to preserve health center funding. Go to our Grassroots Advocacy center.
Health Centers Need a Bipartisan Funding Solution By Sept. 30th
Congress has a lot of work to finish before September 30, 2023 – when 70 percent of Community Health Center funding expires. Negotiations on extending the Community Health Center Fund continue in the Senate, and we anticipate action in the House in the next couple of weeks. Health centers are depending on Congress to pass bipartisan legislation to extend and increase health center funding before September 30th. If Congress does not act, millions of Americans will lose access to affordable primary health care.
How you can take action on behalf of health centers
Now is the time to elevate funding requests and we need your help! NACHC’s Policy and Advocacy Division has created the following resources to help you reach out to your members of Congress to support FY24 Community Health Center (CHC) Funding.
Visit the Fall Health Center Funding Resources page to find:
- For PCAs: CHC Funding House/Senate Letter Template (Fall 2023)
- For Advocates: CHC Funding Letter to Member of Congress Template (Fall 2023)
- Health Center Funding Talking Points (Fall 2023)
- Health Center Funding Social Media Assets
Community Health Centers must have certainty about their long-term funding to meet the growing demand for affordable care at a time when they are serving a record number of patients.